Sunday 22 August 2010

Dad

DAD
Jack Gomersall 31.5.26 - 18-8-2010
On day of Dad's death I recall these things......
His warm chuckling laugh, His deep caring. His unending care for both my brother and myself. His one-teabag-in-the-pot habit! (unless on special occasions : ) His generosity of spirit, his words of wisdom “Enjoy yr life” 'don't worry' and 'don't get down in the dumps.' His love of my mother. His joke about being member number '006' at his golf club.. not only a veteran golfer but “Licensed to thrill” apparently!
We disagreed about his use of weedol on the garden lawn; sometimes about our concerns for my brother... & not too much else that I can think of right now.
I wish I had had more time to appreciate his capacity for enjoying life and for appreciating him in general. I wish he'd had more time to enjoy time with Audrey (our Mum/ his wife) after his retirement and I wish he'd seized more adventures for himself before his passing.
I honour his love & devotion to his wife and family, his wise, steady wisdom and his warm humour and Yorkshire wit.
Trivia:
I bought him a laptop last father's day and he enrolled on a course at the local library to learn how to use it. The day he was ambulanced into hospital, two days ago, (it's hard to believe!) he got a call from the library saying a place on the course was available . He said, “I had to say “Oh I'm having some health problems so I will have to decline.” “ We both smiled at that. Almost part of the online community, as he lay on the NHS trolley awaiting admission.
I feel his love continue to live in my brother and myself
I feel the many memories of his kind, gentle ways still ambling around the house.
I wish I could send this message to him.. to tell him how much I love & appreciate his gifts and my life, but, y'know some things work even if yr not online.... and we both know that and always will.

1 comment: